Friday, February 7, 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Oh my YUMMM!!! I was SO excited to try the Broccoli Cheese Soup from one of my cookbooks!  YEAH!!!  My kids..not so excited..but I couldn't wait!!!! 

Ingredients: 

1 pound of broccoli
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour (we use wheat flour)
4 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
salt
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Directions:

~Cook broccoli until just tender.  Do NOT overcook or it will be slightly mushy in the soup!  Drain and cut into small/medium pieces. Set aside.

~Saute' chopped onion and 1/4 cup butter until tender and translucent.   Set aside.

~In a large saucepan, melt the 1/2 cup butter over medium heat.  Stir in flour until well blended.

~Stir in milk, chicken broth, and a sprinkle or two of salt.  

~Stir mixture constantly (or it will totally settle and stick to the bottom of the pan) until it boils.  Cook 2 minutes until thickened.  Still stirring.

~Add broccoli and onions.  Stir in cheese.  Cook a couple minutes, until warmed and combined, over medium heat.  Do not boil.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Yum yum yum!!  I hate my bowl..and a bite or two each time I went into the kitchen!!  One of those "really-filling-but-can't-stop-eating-it's-so-good" things!!  My son and one daughter weren't fans.  Two had "licked-clean" bowls and the other ate nearly all of it.  My husband was at work and ate his for lunch today~LOVED it!!!!  He couldn't stop raving about it..and he was full after one bowl!!  (he eats a lot..so that's saying something)!! :D  I really enjoyed it and it will definitely be back in our house!!!

(would be great in bread bowls too)!! :D

Have a happy day~Kasey


Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment