Friday, February 7, 2014

Dinner for the missionaries...

We were having our church missionaries over for dinner.  I read our menu items for the next two weeks to my husband and he said, "enchiladas!"  So..that's what I made..for my first time ever..for other people!!  What was I thinking?!?!?  ;)  I opened up our Essential Mormon Cookbook that was given to us as a gift, and followed their recipe...a little bit!  I won't post their exact recipe since they don't have it published online, (and because, really, I changed a lot of it..) but I will give you my changed version of it..plus, I doubled it...some of it... :D

Ingredients: 

Chicken breasts
an 8 oz. container of sour cream
2 (7 oz.) cans of chopped green chilies
2 cups of chopped onions
2 tablespoons of butter
salt
2 (8 oz.) bags of shredded cheddar jack cheese
flour tortillas (normally we use wheat tortillas, but since I couldn't find the larger size, I got the regular, white ones)
28 oz. can of mild enchilada sauce ( of course you can use medium or hot if you want it warmer)

Directions:

~ I had two huge chicken breasts.  I sliced them up into kinda thick strips then grilled them on my grilling pan..about 4-6 minutes on each side.  Shred it.

~Combined shredded chicken, sour cream, and green chilies.  Mix well.

~Saute onions and butter until golden brown and translucent.  

~Add onion, 1 cup of cheese (or about half of one bag), and sprinkle salt to your desire, to the chicken mixture.  

~Spoon mixture into tortillas.

~Roll and place, sides touching, in a greased 9x13 pan (or pans).

~Pour enchilada sauce on, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

~Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  

The original recipe was half of most of my stuff..and said it made 10 tortillas.  I got 17 total enchiladas out of the above recipe.  

I have to say~I was pleasantly pleasantly surprised!  We LOVED them!!!  My son didn't care for them much..but that's not surprising since he doesn't care for a lot of things.  The rest of us loved them though!!  Seriously~I couldn't take a picture because they were gone so quickly!  Yes..we actually did have leftovers, but my husband put them away before I got a picture.  

For dessert..another first!!!  I made a Moist Chocolate Cake AND icing from scratch..both my first time ever!!!!!  




Moist Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 cup water
3 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups flour (I use wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (we have 1%)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

~In saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil.  Remove from heat.  (butter will not be completely melted yet)

~Place baking chocolate in a microwaveable bowl for one minute, then 30 second increments, stirring well between cooking times.  Add to butter/water mixture.  Butter will finish melting as you stir.

~In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and sat. Add chocolate mixture and beat well.

~In separate bowl, add sugar and eggs. Cream.

~Stir in vanilla and milk. Beat well.  Pour mixture into chocolate mixture. Beat well.  

~Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  (I checked mine..and ended up cooking it 30 minutes)  

~TIP~when you are checking it...I always used a butter knife..don't.  Use a toothpick if you have one!! The knife makes a slightly larger hole/slice..and the homemade icing is wet until it settles and will seep down into the cake quite a bit if you have the larger holes! :D  

Chocolate Butter Frosting

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

~In medium saucepan, bring butter and milk to a boil.  Remove from heat.  (again..butter won't be completely melted)

~Melt chocolate in the microwave, 1 minute, then 30 second increments as needed, stirring well between times.

~Pour chocolate into saucepan with butter and milk.  Mix.

~Pour mixture into a bowl.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat well.

The icing looks really wet and watery..but it sets perfectly once it's poured onto the cake!

It was delicious!!!!  My kids loved it..I enjoyed it.  The missionaries had seconds..my husband loved it..and he hates cake!!!  My firsts were sure not lasts this time!!! :D  

Have a happy day~Kasey


Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment