Friday, February 7, 2014

How can I see Heavenly Father's hand in all things?

As the kids completed their assessments and turned them in to me last Sunday, I was excited to read over them and see what they would like to learn about.  I was surprised to see that a big one they had trouble actually seeing and understanding is how to see Him in their lives directly.  I knew I wanted to make this lesson a priority for the next Sunday!  I read so many talks and articles, lesson plans from others in preparation for this.  I did a lot of praying and knew which direction to go.  

The first thing I did was hand out a paper with the lyrics to "How Great Thou Art" on it.  

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed;

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze;

Refrain

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die - I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

Refrain

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation
And take me home- what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!


The kids went through their copy and underlined or circled ways we can see God each day.  When everyone was done we talked about it as a group.  Then I passed out this letter from our Father in Heaven to each of the kids, with their name on theirs.


Dear (I wrote in their name)

I just had to write to tell you how much I love you and care for you. Yesterday, I saw you walking and laughing with your friends; I hoped that soon you'd want Me to walk along with you, too, so I painted you a sunset to close your day and whispered a cool breeze to refresh you.

As I watched you fall asleep last night, I wanted so much to touch you. I spilled moonlight onto your face – trickling down your cheeks as so many tears have.

The next day, I exploded a brilliant sunrise into a glorious morning for you.

I love you. I try to say it in the quiet of the green meadow and in the blue sky.

The wind whispers My love throughout the treetops and spills it into the vibrant colors of the flowers. I shout it to you in the thunder of the great waterfalls.

I warm you with the clothing of My sunshine and perfume the air with nature's sweet scent.

My love for you is deeper than the ocean. Please call Me soon. No matter how long it takes, I'll wait, because I love you.

Love,
Heavenly Father

Some of the kids really liked it and I hope it sticks with them!  After discussing these two things, we came to the conclusion that it was easy to see him in those physical type things because He created all.  So I brought in this talk by Elder Bednar titled "The Tender Mercies of the Lord.!"  I first explained what a tender mercy was.  I read the examples in the talk that he shared, the sister who spoke of the Christmas card from her deceased husband and the dream of the righteous Priesthood leader.  I read some other parts that I felt the class would benefit from.  A couple kids shared some experiences of loved ones in regards to receiving tender mercies.  I shared one of my many! :D  It turned out to be a great discussion!  

Our time was ending so I passed out this handout that I found at LDS Nest. She had so many, but I really liked this one.


The kids were asked to do this as homework, but warned that we would do it the next class if they didn't.  I really liked this handout and the meaning behind each of those scriptures!

Have a happy day~Kasey
 
Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment